May 5, 2014

Lasting Happiness Comes From Living the Gospel!

Well hello folks!

Quick reminder that yes, transfers are next Monday, and I"ll find out Saturday if my address is going to stay the same or not. I'll let you all know next week! Which means don't send letters after this Tuesday. If you send something today or tomorrow, I'll get it before transfers. If not, it'll catch up to me sometime!

Tomorrow is my 3 month mark. That means I'm 1/6 of the way done with my mission people. That's ridiculous. I'm trying hard not to believe it. 3 months goes by way too fast, and I only have 5 more three month sets before I'm done!! Crazy, crazy, crazy. It goes too fast. THat's why it's so important to treasure everyday, every moment!! So do it.

So exciting news!! Every month there is zone training, where the two districts get together and talk about things we can improve on and the zone leaders and sister training leaders and other leaders usually give us training. Well on Tuesday night, we got a call from our zone leaders and they asked Sis. Farnsworth and I to train. That doesn't happen, especially with greenies (you're considered a greenie for 12 weeks, or 2 transfers). Sooooo that was really surprising! So we prepared and on Thursday we trained our zone all about keeping committments and how it prepares people to make covenants with the Lord. It went super well, and everyone said it was really great and we did a good job. So hopefully they meant it and weren't just trying to make us feel good! And of course I loved it because I got to public speak for a little bit, which I love of course. So fun stuff!!

Also at this zone training, we talked about how our mission is lacking in finding. Not just our area, but the whole mission isn't so good at finding more people to teach, cuz we get comfortable with the people we are teaching and don't want to find new people. Plus it's nerve-racking and scary to knock on doors. So our zone decided to fast yesterday that each companionship in our zone would get 4 new investigators. To put it into perspective, we have an average of 0 new investigators for this last transfer, and probably for most of the transfer before that. So this is a huge leap of faith. But I am so confident that the Lord will put us where He needs us,. that He will guide us to those people that are ready. And there will be so many miracles this week to report about next Monday! I can't wait to share with you all what happens. If faith can move mountains, then faith can get us 4 new investigators! Believe! I know it'll happen, because I have faith and trust and hope in my God!

On a less spiritual note, I know where Bigfoot lives! Yup, Bigfoot lives in the desert. People really believe that he lives here, down by the river (the river separates the Rez and the "city"). Well we were out on the Rez this last week and saw one of our friends. She has a cute high pitch voice and is short with beautiful white frizzy hair and glasses. And she's 78. Well she walked us out to our car after our lesson and her husband shouts after us "watch out for bigfoot!" He laughs and walks back inside and Jane basically says oh yeah let me show you where he lives and hops in our truck. And I mean she's pretty short and our truck is pretty tall, so it was a long way to go for her. But she got in and was telling us that she's seen him and that white people come and camp out by this one place to spot him and that they throw rocks at him. And in the middle of her story she shouts "stop right there!" So I hit the breaks kind of hard and we look and it's a bunch of brown bushes. And she starts talking about footprints and I'm thinking it's a bunch of brown overgrown bushes! Bigfoot likes green forests and huge trees! But everybody believes he exists...at least a lot of the Natives do. She was so cute about it. And also, everybody believes in skin walkers, but I won't tell you about them because it would scare the little kids and mom. Don't look them up, and Uncle Charlie don't tell mom about them!!! NO.

Update on one of our investigators..she is doing great!  Her kids didn't want to stay for all three hours yesterday, and one of her kids had a friend with her, so they left early. But when she walked out she said "bye, I really want to stay." So she's still on track! And she finished the Book of Mormon and started over again so she could understand it better. So she finished the BoM in 2 weeks, and for like 3 or 4 days she had lost it. Soooo yeah she's amazing. And the ward is really reaching out to her which is fantastic!

And quick update on Blue, we're pretty sure he's a medicine man. He does a gourd dance, which isn't really sketch or anything (I don't think...) and goes to pow-wows to do them. And he does prayers for people and smokes tobacco to see what people's hearts are like (basically if they're good people or not). So he might be a medicine man, but we're gonna keep meeting with him! And you should know that everytime we meet with him and he prays, he blesses you all! He says "bless my granddaughters, and bless their families: their aunts and their uncles, their brothers and sisters, their mothers and fathers, their grandfathers and grandmothers" so he pretty much blesses you all by name. And all the insects and four legged creatures, who are also our brothers and sisters. He's such a cute old man!!!

Your challenge this week is to write me your conversion story! Probably not in email because I don't have enough time in emailing to read them all. But I would love to hear what sparked your testimony and why, whether it was because of missionaries or because of parents or because of leaders or just your own self. What made you want to be or stay a Mormon?

And your scripture is Alma 37:44-45.

I love you all so very much!! You all mean so much to me and I am so grateful for all the things you do for me each day, each week. I can feel the power of your prayers, so don't doubt that they work!

Love ya! Sister Garcia

No comments:

Post a Comment