November 12, 2013

The Story of Shelley

Shelley is on the left, Faith (her amazing roommate) is on the right.

I met Shelley about two and a half months ago, when she moved in across the hall and two doors down from me. I think the first time we talked to each other was when I walked outside and she was sitting in the hall with some of the other girls, just talking, and she asked if they needed to move, if they were bothering me. That just shows you how nice she really is. She was willing to move her whole party for my sake.

But that's not all she does. She talks to every person she sees and immediately loves them. She smiles with this infectious smile and is so animated when she talks to you. She can brighten your day with the simplest of compliments and inspire you to be better and do better that day. She is so strong and courageous!

Lately, she's been going through a hard time, and I have noticed. And yet she still cheers you up, even though she isn't having a good day, or a good week. Shelley is just amazing like that. She is so optimistic it's unbearably wonderful. She is so happy, like she's just letting you have this whole little ray of sunshine to yourself. She doesn't think of herself, only others, and it makes a world of difference.

From Shelley, I have learned that I need to not focus on myself so much. Instead, I need to look outside myself at the wonderful people around me and really get to know them. I have learned that I can make a world difference in somebody's life by just talking to them and making them feel important. I am so glad that I was able to meet Shelley and get to know her even a little bit, because she is an inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment