November 16, 2013

A Note


I work at a dry cleaners. I think my job title is "assembler," because I am the person who puts all the clothes into bags and makes sure they all look okay. Oftentimes, my co-worker and I will get nice little notes from the police officers that say things like "Thank you for making my uniform not smell! Good luck on midterms this week!" So my co-worker and I decided to start writing those police officers back.

We didn't write anything grand, just something simple like "Thanks for your note! We really appreciated it, and we hope you have a fantastic day!" And we got a reply! Which we then replied to immediately, of course.

So what's the point of this whole thing? I don't know, really. I'm not a super extravagant person, I'm not super talkative, I'm not one to speak my thoughts. So I often express my thoughts and feelings to other people through little anonymous notes. In part that's because I don't want the attention, but also because when I get a little note from somebody, it makes me happy for the rest of the week. And I want people to be that happy too, but I don't want to get credit for being nice.

It's the small and simple acts that really make my day, and that really help to uplift other people, too. Remember that as we go about our days, that little things can make all the difference in somebody's happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment