November 17, 2013

The Story of Romello


This is Romello. He is one of the most kind-hearted people I have ever met. I don't know his story, only the things that he did for me. So let me tell you what he did for me.

It was my senior year of high school, and he was in two of my classes. He was one of the more popular people and had a knack for humor. He made the effort to talk to me, which was so sweet of him. We didn't talk all that often, either, but it was fun when we did. There was one day where I was talking to him and the conversation lapsed for a minute. He looked at me, looked at his girlfriend, looked back at me and said "I want to tell you something." And I said, "Um, okay, what?" And he proceeded to tell me that what he was about to say was completely serious and that he was not joking and that it was all true. Confused, I asked him what was on his mind and he said "Of all the girls in this class (which was probably somewhere between 40 and 50) I would date you."

What!? I just looked at him for a minute, then looked at his girlfriend, and then I laughed because nobody had or has ever said something like that to me (and it was completely unexpected and his girlfriend was sitting right next to him). And while I was laughing he said "No, really, I would," and he told me that he had talked to his girlfriend about it before (at that point I looked at her and she nodded). And then he started to tell me all these nice things about me that I didn't even know I had done! It was wonderful! And then I had to leave, and I thanked him a ton and said goodbye. 

So what can we learn from dear Romello? We can learn to compliment the people we admire. We can be honest and truthful and kind to brighten somebody's day. Receiving compliments, especially big ones like that, is so wonderful! But they need to happen more often! So open your mouths and say the nice things that you think!

1 comment: