October 10, 2013

Ask to Learn


I don't know Spanish, but my parents are both fluent. When I was little, my parents would randomly start speaking in Spanish to each other so my siblings and I wouldn't be able to understand what they were saying. I suspect they talked about things like where we were going to go the next vacation, or what they were getting us for Christmas, but I can't be sure. All the time, my siblings and I would ask what they were saying, and my parents would smile and laugh and say some vague answer, like "stuff."

I realize, now, that we were just asking the wrong question. What would've happened if instead of asking "what are you saying," we asked, "can you teach us Spanish?" Knowing my parents, they probably would've thought it would be the coolest thing to teach us Spanish. But, that's not the question we asked.

There are times in life where we really want to just know the outcome of things, but it can't be that way.  The Lord has a plan for each one of us, for you. He has designed His plan so that all we have to do is ask, and He will provide a way for us to find our answers. But we need to ask to be taught, not to know the answer. And once we ask, we have to act.

"Therefore, ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you; for he that asketh, receiveth; and unto him that knocketh, it shall be opened."
              -3 Nephi 27:29

No comments:

Post a Comment