September 14, 2013

What Win I?


"What win I if I gain the thing I seek?"
-William Shakespeare

There are so many things in this life that we want. We want people, we want objects, we want to accomplish this certain thing. Too many times we hear people making promises to themselves: "If I only had _____ I would be so much happier," "If I could only do _____ I would be so much better," or "If I could only find ____ my life would be perfect." But is it really?

What happens if you get that thing you've been wanting? You've achieved your goal. So now what? All too many times that something we want leads us to wanting something else, something that will make us happier, make ourselves better, make our lives perfect. It's a never-ending cycle.

So what win I if I gain the thing I seek? I win nothing. Nothing but the empty promise I made myself. All I win is something else to seek after.

Please, don't promise yourself that you will be happy, that you will be better, that you will be perfect. Be happy now! Make changes to be better now! Strive to be perfect now!

All of it is possible, if you only let go of the thing you say will fulfill that promise to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment