June 9, 2013

Word of the Week: Receive



Receiving has many different definitions. On Dictionary.com, there are sixteen ways a person can use this one word. Some of my favorite definitions are to take into one's possession, to accept as true, and to welcome. Let me tell you why those are my top three.

"But if ye shall receive me [Christ] in the world, then shall ye know me, and shall receive your exaltation; that where I am, ye shall be also."
          -Doctrine and Covenants 132:23

To receive is to take something into your possession (something offered or delivered). It's to accept it as your own. Like in football. There's a person called a wide receiver who's main job is to catch the ball, to take it as his own. Or like when you are given a gift. You readily accept it, or receive it, and it becomes yours. It's a free gift, why not take it? In a similar manner, we need to receive Christ. Our Heavenly Father has given us the greatest gift of all: His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ. So why not accept Him into our lives? Especially if it means that we can receive exaltation, as the scripture above promises, then we have no excuse not to. It only makes sense to accept His name and step into the roles that have been laid out for us.

To receive is to accept as authoritative, valid, true, or approved. Of all of those words, my favorite is true. So when we receive Christ, we are accepting that He is real. Everything He taught is true. Everything He stood for is true. Everything He did was truly for us, to teach us and help us grow. He truly died so you and I could return to live with Him. He truly suffered for your sins and mine, that we may become like Him, perfect and glorious.

Which leads me to my most favorite of all. To receive is to greet or welcome upon arriving. I have always imagined what it would be like to meet my Older Brother, my Friend, my Savior. I picture Him standing tall in a white mist with the sun shining down brightly. I picture Him smiling a huge smile when He sees me. I picture Him opening His arms open wide, waiting to receive me, to welcome me, into the Kingdom of our Father in Heaven.

I long for that day. But we need to make ourselves ready and worthy before that day comes. We need to receive Christ's name into our hearts. We need to receive His true gospel and live it. We need to receive the people around us. Just like a wide receiver in American football, we need to always be prepared to catch the ball. Or in this case, prepared to meet our Savior.

"For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors."
          -Alma 34:32

No comments:

Post a Comment