May 6, 2013

Word of the Week: Faith



By defintion, faith is "a belief not based on proof" or "confidence/trust in a person or thing." Faith is one of the coolest things ever. It's what allows us to have relationships, to believe, to love, to hope, to grow, to become.

"It is like a grain of a mustard seed, which, when it is sown in the earth, is less than all the seeds that be in the earth: But when it is sown, it groweth up and becometh greater than all herbs and shooteth out great branches; so that the fowls of the air may lodge under the shadow of it."
                     -Mark 4:31-32

I have always loved the comparison of faith to a seed. It reminds me that even the smallest amount of faith makes a difference, that the smallest of testimonies can grow into something magnificent that benefits so many. I got to thinking about what I have faith in, who I have faith in. And I made a little list of some of the things and people I have faith in.

I have faith in words. I trust words to help me convey messages to the people who hear or read them. I am confident that they are meaningful and that they carry power when used correctly.

I have faith in time. I believe that it passes quickly, that it is measured by man. I believe that I need to seize the opportunities I have now because I don't know how many more I'll have.

I have faith in my parents. I am confident taht they will help me through my own mortal journey, that they will give me advice and allow me to make my own decisions.

I have faith in my Father in Heaven. I trust that He will hear my prayers and answer them, that He will always be there for me. I trust that He will love me enough to hurt me so that I may grow and become the person He intended me to be. I am confident that He will always stand by me and send angels (both seen and unseen) to aid and comfort me.

What and who do you put your faith in?

No comments:

Post a Comment