April 8, 2013

Word of the Week: Peculiar


Peculiar. Lots of times, this word had a negative connotation or feeling to it. But according to Dictionary.com, it can mean "distinctive in nature or character from others." This is why I love this word. Each one of us is a peculiar person; we each have unique qualities and quirks that set us apart from everybody else. Sure, sometimes we stand out so much we feel left out, undervalued, or misunderstood for these same defining quirks and qualities, but is that such a bad thing? That feeling has been my life in a nutshell.

First of all, I'm a Mormon, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This immediately sets me apart from the world, makes me peculiar, because the world and I don't share the same beliefs most of the time. I have strict rules to follow that most of the rest of the world doesn't, and I am blessed with joy when I am obedient to those commandments. I "dare to be a Mormon, dare to stand alone, dare to have a purpose firm, [and I] dare to make it known." (Thomas S. Monson, the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator, divinely appointed by God to speak God's will to the world said that.)

That's another thing that makes me peculiar: I make my purpose known. At least I try to. My friends know when I'm not comfortable with a situation. They know when enough's enough, because usually, I'll tell them straight up. I declare with boldness my thoughts and feelings. And sometimes that offends people, and we grow distant, which is really sad. But I will never change me to fit in with the rest of the world because I am peculiar, and proud of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment